Sunday, May 15, 2005

Epiphany

Well, kind and loyal readers, it has happened. I have had an EPIPHANY. And while that may sound rather painful, it is not really the cruel and unusual activity that I thought it might be.

Before I go any further, I must shamelessly promote the fact that my friend amy now has joined us in the world of unread blogs. Amysmentalward. Amy is just as weird as me, maybe even weirder (and amy I know you love me in a lesbian way, but lets keep that quiet, you know it will never happen).

Ok, my epiphany. I was going to rant and rave about the evils of giant fast food corporations (watched supersize me on fri nyt), but I think I will leave that for another day. My epiphany is far more important than my newly discovered war on fast food.

It all begins with a song, and a very boring nyt shift. Doesnt it always? So yeah, driving I was drivin through downtown Kurnell, on my way to freak out the bong smokers at the point (my work car has warning lights on it, similar to the coppers ones), when love song dedications (yes sad I know, but it was slim pickings radio wise this eve) started playing Hands by Jewel. So I cranked it and started singing my lil heart out (very badly). Ive heard the song a million times, I know the words off by heart. Its an old fave.

This time however, for some reason unknown to me, be it God, be it aliens in lil spaceships, be it a very large coffee with caramel from Gloria Jeans, a line stuck out to me, and suddenly presented itself to be the answer to so many lil niggling problems.

In the end, only kindness matters

Der, you may say we know this but have you ever really thought about it? The money I make, the things I buy, the promotions I get- will never make a difference. Who cares about it when everything is so very fragile? Life could change in an instant- in fact thats the only way it does change.

What matters is the people I effect, the manner in which I deal with them and way I make them feel. We are all walking testimony to the people around us.

If I am kind and effect you in a way that is positive, if I do something small that makes you smile, then I have given you something that you did not have before. And even if you dont realise it, you pass it on- the kindness, the smile, that stupid joke that makes you giggle.

And when I give that kindness and recieve kindness in return, I dont focus on the negatives, I dont find things to get me down. The kindness grows, and therefore we all grow.

So I am going to be kind. I am going to go out of my way to make your day. I am going to smile at someone who looks sad. I am going to make time for someone who needs it. Its like that movie pay it forward. I think it might be what I need.

This could all be just me talking outta my ass, Im tired and I just had a most mindnumbing night in the office. But it might not be.

I dunno.

No comments: